Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hold on a doggone minute

I know we've all come to accept that some cable news networks have sort of become comfortable with being labeled conservative or liberal, but I still held loosely on to the belief that the mainstream media (ABC, CBS, NBC nightly news) could remain at least superficially middle of the road. Yet tonight on ABC News with Charles Gibson, he introduced a piece by saying "We now turn....to the difficult economy and how the presidential candidates plan to deal with it, particularly John McCain. The video piece then went on to feature only John McCain and highlighted his flip-flopping in recent months and days on the government bailing out banks and insurance firms. (just yesterday he said the government shouldn't bail out AIG, today he said it was a necessary and good thing). Gibson wrapped up the piece by saying "It's more reassuring to hear from him than not." WHAT?!?!?! Am I wrong, or is that a dig on Obama? Did ABC news not know that Obama today came out with a two-minute piece addressing the current economic situation?

Then I turned to NBC news with Brian Williams, and they did a fact-check on Palin's most recent claims, both in her stump speeches (well, I should say stump speech, singular, becasue she just keeps making the same speech over and over) and the intervew with Gibson. My favorite was that she claimed to have been to Ireland, but come to find out she was on a plane that refueled at the airport there. Wonder if she even got off the plane. There's lots more, if you want to follow the fact-checking results for yourself:

No comments: